The four-room brick house was built for pioneering orchardist Richard Serpell in 1875 using clay quarried from his land to for the locally-fired bricks. In 1883 the property was sold to the Jenkins family who retained the property until bought by our clients in 2014. The building had fallen into disrepair since the late-1970s and it was proposed to demolish the addition constructed by the Jenkins family in the 1930s and to construct a large, 2-storey addition at the rear of the original house.
The original house, which is in excellent structural condition, was restored, and the new work was designed to be physically separate but still related through the selection of complementary brickwork and pitched roof forms. The internal spaces and their relation to the rear garden are open and provide for contemporary living.
This project was completed in 2017.