Hemingway Avenue, Templestowe
The four-room brick house was built for pioneering orchardist Richard Serpell in 1875 using clay quarried from his land to for the locally-fired bricks. In 1883 the property was sold to the Jenkins family who retained the property until bought by our clients in 2014. The building has fallen into disrepair since the late-1970s and it is proposed to demolish the addition constructed by the Jenkins family in the 1930s and to construct a large, 2-storey addition at the rear of the original house.
The original house, which is in excellent structural condition, is to be restored, and the new workhas been designed to appear to be physically separate but still related through the selection of complementary brickwork and pitched roof forms. The internal spaces and their relation to the rear garden are to be open and provide for contemporary living.
The project had to respond to Development Guidelines specifically prepared for the property by Manningham Council under the Heritage Overlay applicable to the property.